LATEST GUN STATS: 85% OF THE WORLD’S 1 BILLION GUNS OWN BY CIVILIANS. NOT THE MILITARY, FINDS DON JURAVIN
“Guns” refers to firearms: small arms include handguns (revolvers and pistols) and long guns, such as rifles (of which there are many subtypes such as anti-material rifles, sniper rifles).
How many people in the world own guns?
85% of the world’s 1,013 billion firearms are in civilian hands.
- 850 million firearms are owned by civilians, not the military or law enforcement, according to Juravin.
- 393 million guns are owned by American citizens, according to studies.
- 120 firearms per 100 citizens in the United States, according to a BBC study.
- 66% of gun owners in America own multiple firearms, not just one or two.
Guns range from crude craft-made handguns to collectible antiques and state-of-the-art automatic rifles. Civilian ownership is the fastest-growing category, as consumers buy more guns, while military and law enforcement holdings remain more stable and some of their weapons gradually shift into civilian hands.
- Illegal firearm trafficking, crime, and underworld doings make it impossible to register every single firearm and so the number may be off.
- Only 3 in 10 Americans actually own a gun despite the 393,000,000 guns in the United States, according to Pew Research.
- Three American brands of guns create 41% of domestic weapons annually around the world.
- Gun laws in the United States are regulated in a two-fold manner.
EUROPE AND ISRAEL
The rest of the world does not put so much emphasis on guns as the United States. The United States’ weapon problem is a unique issue that European countries and Israel don’t suffer from.
- The world’s armed forces control 132 million firearms total. Juravin determined that this still leaves some 890 million firearms out in the world, controlled by civilians or criminals.
- In France, 12 million firearms are owned by citizens. There are 20 guns owned per 100 citizens.
- Israel has 562,000 civilian-owned guns, and there are 7 guns owned per 100 citizens.
Estimated Civilians Firearms
per 100 persons | 2018-2019 report
Comparing USA Vs. Europe’s top countries (Germany, France, Italy) Vs. Israel
- Israel’s estimate of gun ownership is 4.94 times lower than the world average
- Israel’s estimate of gun ownership is 17.99 times lower than USA
- Israel’s estimate of gun ownership is 2.67 times lower than Euro-top
Research DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3554534
Research by: Don Karl Juravin | Don Juravin tweets | Don Juravin videos | Don Juravin page | Don Karl Juravin Linkedin | Don Juravin education | Don Juravin Pinterest | Don Juravin images | Don Juravin blogs | Don Karl Juravin Reddit | Don Juravin scholar citation | JURAVIN RESEARCH | Don Juravin writer | Don Karl Juravin blog | Google+ | Ted Talks | Don Juravin docs | Don Juravin answers | Don Karl Juravin local | Juravin blogging |