Want to make a difference in your council estate and its community? Apply to join our residents’ group
Residents who have passion for improving the communities they live in are being sought to sit on a panel that has direct influence on how housing services provided by the Council is run and delivered.
The role, in the Resident Liaison Group (RLG), means you will get to make a real impact on local Hackney communities by idea-sharing and looking critically at what the Council is doing or proposing to do in all services affecting tenants and leaseholders.
As part of this group, which is the highest level of resident involvement, you will look at the performance and policies of housing services and work directly with the Strategic Director for Housing Services and the Cabinet Member for Housing Services to influence change and help drive improvements.
The current panel is made up of residents from neighbourhoods and resident forums, and the Council is seeking to appoint another seven people – six tenants and one leaseholder – to provide ideas and opinions about their neighbourhoods, and who are independent from existing tenant and resident groups.
You do not need a qualification to access this position but the Council is looking for people with these sorts of traits:
• Good communication skills
• Good team spirit
• Positive can-do and problem-solving attitude
• Ability to express critical opinions in a constructive manner
• Creative and innovative approach to problems
• Passionate about Hackney
• Knowledgeable of your area and of the borough as a whole
• Desire to learn about housing services
• Availability to undertake occasional training
• Willingness to make a real impact to the local communities in Hackney
• Willingness to represent the community fairly and evenly.
The Council does not want the new recruits to be linked to any tenant and resident association (TRA) or supported resident group in order to get a wider perspective on the housing services it currently delivers.
The group meets every two months in the early evening at the Council offices in Hackney Central or online.
If you are interested, please complete the online application form.
The closing date for entries is 27 February.