Teams begin door-to-door welfare operation
Multi-agency teams and volunteers will be door knocking homes across areas still affected by power outages today. Teams will be checking on residents’ safety and welfare, providing advice and support if required. They will also be making targeted home visits to people known to agencies as potentially vulnerable.
The work is part of the effort to ensure public safety and will be co-ordinated by local Operational Control Groups working out of Kendal Fire Station and Ulverston Blue Light Hub initially.
In parallel the British Red Cross will be working with Electricity North West to telephone around 600 known vulnerable customers in affected areas.
As of this morning around 6000 homes in Cumbria remain without electricity. With teams from Electricity North West working through the day it is expect that this number will drop by the end of the day, but some properties could remain without power until Friday.
The public are reminded to contact www.cumbria.police.uk/report-it or call 101 if they have concerns about their own safety and well-being, or the safety and well-being of someone they know. If there is an immediate risk to life people should call 999.
Food vans- hot food and drinks:
- ALSTON – located at Wright Bros Coaches, Nenthead, Alston, CA9 3JF for a Street Diner open now
- AMBLESIDE – located at Ambleside Waterhead car park, Borrans Road, Waterhead, LA22 9DH available from 12.30pm today
- CONISTON – Coniston Sports and Social Centre, Shepherds Bridge Lane, Coniston LA21 8AL (The Street Diner) open now
- DALTON-IN-FURNESS – located at Dalton Leisure Centre and High Tide Café, Beckside Road, Dalton-in-furness, LA15 8DA ( 9.00-5.00 PM for the Café and 07.30-8.00pm for the Leisure Centre to shower and charge phones)
- GRANGE-OVER-SANDS – Cartmel Food Shed, The Causeway, Cartmel, Grange-over-sands LA11 6PW (Cartmel Food Shed)
- KENDAL – Kendal Fire Station, Busher Walk, Kendal – Open from 12.30
- NENTHEAD – Land S/O Wright Bros Coaches, Nenthead, Alston CA9 3NP (Southwards Farm Shop Van)
- ULVERSTON -Blue Light Hub, Beehive Business Park, Thomas Way, Ulverston LA12 7NJ – Open from 12.30
- WINDERMERE – Sugar and Spice 11, Main Road, Windermere, LA23 1DX Open from 09:30 – 16:00
Local welfare and respite centres offering warmth, light, phone charging facilities, toilets and kitchen facilities:
- AMBLESIDE – located at Ambleside Parish Centre, The Centre, Vicarage Rd, Ambleside LA22 9DH
- CONISTON – located at Coniston Sports and Social, Shepherds Bridge Ln, Coniston LA21 8AL
- DALTON– located at Dalton Leisure Centre and High Tide Café, Beckside Road, Dalton-in-furness, LA15 8DA (9.00-5.00 PM for Café and 07.30-8.00 PM for the Leisure Centre to shower and recharge phones)
Other important information:
- The respite centre at Ulverston’s Coronation Hall is now closed.
- Contact www.cumbria.police.uk/report-it or call 101 if you have concerns about your own safety and well-being, or the safety and well-being of someone you know. If there is an immediate risk to life call 999.
- If you wish to report a problem on the county’s roads, please report online via the County Council website – www.cumbria.gov.uk/highways
- Electricity North West on 105, but please only call if your query is urgent to help prioritise customers in the most vulnerable circumstances. For more information, please visit www.enwl.co.uk/StormArwen
- For water supply issues contact United Utilities on 0345 672 3723
- If you are open to Cumbria County Council’s Adult Social Care, have care and support needs and these needs cannot be met due to the power outage, please contact Adult Social Care on 0300 303 3589
• Keep up-to-date with the weather at www.metoffice.gov.uk.
• For latest traffic and roads information visit www.cumbria.police.uk/traffic