Businesses urged to help Hackney’s diverse communities get in-demand digital tech skills and jobs
Hackney – High Street Photos – HACKNEY WICK – 240dpi – 10 (1)
Hackney businesses are being urged to participate in a survey to help the borough’s diverse communities overcome barriers to digital tech skills and jobs.
We know businesses in Hackney aspire to have a workforce that mirrors the local labour market by hiring employees who reflect all community groups – because improving diversity, equity, and inclusion is not only the right thing to do, it’s also good for business.
However, Hackney’s underrepresented and low-income communities face barriers to opportunities in this sector. In a recent survey, residents reported that their top three barriers to digital tech careers are:
- Not having the right skills or qualifications
- Needing work experience to apply
- Not being confident enough to look for opportunities in this sector
Their top three barriers to skills and qualifications for the sector are:
- Not knowing what jobs are available and what qualifications are needed
- The high cost of studying
- Not having anyone to advise them about courses and training options