Don’t bin batteries, Halton residents warned

Residents in Halton urged not to dispose of batteries through their household waste/recycling bins after in a bin lorry fire.

The blaze could have led to  significant damage had it not been quickly contained by Cheshire Fire and Rescue officers.

A battery is thought to be the likely cause of the ignition.

Now, Halton Borough Council is reminding residents not to dispose of batteries via their recycling bin or their household waste bin.

Instead, they should be disposed of at their nearest Household Waste and Recycling Centre or taken to their nearest battery recycling point.

Stef Nelson, Executive Member for Environment and Urban Renewal, said:  “Experience from around the UK shows the dangers of  batteries in your household bins.

“This could have been a lot worse, if refuse collectors and fire officers hadn’t acted so quickly.”

Source link

Show More