Thursday, February 22, 2024

Environmental award win for local South West company

Glanville Environmental, in partnership with South West Water and Public Sewer Services, won the silver Green Apple Award for Environmental Improvement after using innovative approaches to protect the environment while working under tight deadlines to upgrade a 640-metre length of sewer in Falmouth to improve the pipe’s performance and resilience.

The work posed added complications due to the sewer’s location near a watercourse and holiday park, as a typical sewer replacement involves digging trenches to cut damaged sections of pipe out to be replaced. Considering the complications of where the sewer was, Glanville developed an innovative approach to get the job done while removing any potential impact to the local environment.

This involved only digging a trench for around 30% of the pipe, with the remaining 70%being completed by installing a protective liner inside the existing sewer. The ability to eliminate the need for excavation helped preserve the natural environment above the pipe and minimise disruption to landowners.

Using innovative solutions and tools, the team reduced the projects timeframe and minimised any possible disruption to nearby properties. The success of this workdemonstrates the value of considering different solutions and utilising innovative techniques to achieve success in a more environmentally conscious way.

The collaborative work between the different teams from Glanville, South West Water,and national water and drainage service company, Public Sewer Services, demonstrates the importance of exploring new methods and innovative thinking toprioritise the protection of our natural environment.

James West, Glanville Environmental Framework Delivery Manager, said: We are thrilled and honoured to accept this recognition, which acknowledges our steadfast commitment to sustainable solutions and environmental stewardship. Our unwavering commitment lies in relentlessly exploring the most cost-effective, secure, and eco-conscious solutions for intricate challenges.

This recognition serves as a clear testament to the dedication of our exceptional team. The achievement underscores our team’s enduring passion and tireless work, motivating us to continue making a positive impact on the world.“

John Evans, Head of Programme Delivery at South West Water said: “We are delighted to celebrate our collaboration with industry experts like Glanville Environmental with this prestigious environmental award win. It is always a great moment when our hard work is recognised, and it is even more rewarding to have received national acclaim in this instance.

The mix of landscapes in our region makes it a special place to look after and highlights the incredible natural environment that surrounds us, pushing us all to leave places better than we found them and explore new ways of working to help make this happen.