Bicycle Safety in California
Bicycle accidents are very common in congested cities such as Los Angeles and can result in very severe injuries. Those who have suffered bicycle accidents usually have permanent disabilities, such as traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. If you or a loved one have been involved in a bicycle accident caused by another’s negligence, you should not have to pay for all those bills alone. With a bicycle accident comes lost wages, and several thousands of dollars in medical bills. In California, you have the right to hold negligent parties accountable for your injuries. This means that if there was a responsible party, you have the right to seek monetary damages from them.
Bicycle accidents are very common in the city of Los Angeles. There are around 50 bicyclist fatalities each year. There are around 5,000 bicycle accidents in the city of Los Angeles alone. Unfortunately, there are several reasons as to why bicycle accidents are very common. One of the most common reasons why is because of the several thousands of cars that are on the roads, and distracted drivers may not be able to see bicyclists. Several drivers do not share the road with bicyclists.
As more and more Americans are now going back to work and school in person, several have resorted to commuting by bicycle. Bicycling was also a very common sport during Covid-19, as many families began to make it a weekly hobby. To prevent severe injuries and bicycle accidents, there are several different steps bicyclists may take according to the United States Department of Transportation. This includes:
- Wear a helmet: not every state mandates wearing a helmet. In California, all bicyclists are required to wear a helmet. Is important that you wear a helmet for your own safety. Usually, one of the most common injuries caused in a bicycle accident is a traumatic brain injury. When a bicycle and a vehicle collide, the bicyclist flies off the bicycle and is thrown onto the floor. When this occurs, the bicyclist could suffer very severe brain injuries. It is also very important to wear a helmet that best fits your head. There are several different helmet sizes, and most sporting equipment stores should be able to assist you.
- Always look both ways when crossing the street.
- When driving at night, make sure to wear reflective clothing and have lights attached to your bicycle. Bicycle accidents usually occur between the hours of 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- Make sure that your bike fits you. Usually bicycles that are larger than your body size may be difficult to control.
- Always make sure that you have one rider on each seat.
- Make sure that you have both hands on the handlebars.
- Make sure that your shoelaces are tied.
- Plan your route prior to leaving your home and make sure that you are riding on streets that you are familiar with.
- Do not text and drive.
- Do not eat and drive.
- Do not drink and drive.
- Make sure to obey all the street signs.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Always keep an eye out for pedestrians.
- When passing pedestrians, make sure to verbally give them a warning such as “on your right.”
- Always slow down when approaching parking lot exits and residential driveways.
- If you are learning how to bike, make sure that you learn away from the traffic, such as in an empty parking lot or an empty park.
Why do drivers collide with motorcyclists?
According to several vehicle drivers, there are several reasons as to why they collide with bicyclists. Reasons include:
- The vehicle driver failed to see the bicyclist. The vehicle driver may have been driving while distracted, such as texting while driving or eating while driving.
- The vehicle driver opened the car door on to the bicyclist without looking to see if there were any oncoming cyclists.
- The vehicle driver was driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, thus preventing him from seeing the oncoming cyclist.
- The vehicle driver was speeding above the speed limit and failed to stop in time to prevent colliding with the bicyclist.
What are the most common causes of bicycle accidents in Los Angeles?
The most common causes for bicycle accidents include:
- Bicyclists who are hit by a car: this is one of the most common types of bicycle accidents. Bicyclists are oftentimes hit by vehicle drivers because of the driver’s negligence. When this occurs, the bicyclist who has been injured has the right to file a lawsuit against the negligent driver for their injuries.
- Bicyclists fell off their bicycle: bicyclists who are not that experienced riding a bicycle may fall off their bicycle.
- Negligently maintained roads: usually when this occurs, the bicyclist may be able to hold the government entity responsible for the negligently maintained road. Usually, potholes and bumps in the road may cause the bicyclist to lose balance in an accident.
- Collision with stop signs: bicyclists who may be negligent themselves may crash and collide with other objects in the road, including stop signs.
What are the most common bicycle injuries?
There are several different types of injuries that are associated with bicycle accidents in Los Angeles. These include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Back injuries
- Road Burns
- Broken bones
Where do most bicycle accidents occur in Los Angeles?
Many bicycle accidents in Los Angeles occur at intersections. Intersections could be very busy, especially at stop sign intersections when cars are waiting for pedestrians and bicyclists to cross the street before they proceed. Several intersections in Los Angeles do not also have drawn lines, which may confuse both drivers and bicyclists. If you have been injured at an intersection in Los Angeles, contact our top-rated Los Angeles attorneys today to see how we can help you.
Why hire our bicycle accident attorneys?
- We have represented bicycle accident victims for decades. We understand just how difficult it is to be going through a bicycle accident, not only for the victim but also for the victim’s family.
- We are on your side every step of the way and are available 24/7 to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your bicycle accident.
- We fight aggressively for your rights against the fault party, along with the insurance company. We communicate and negotiate with the insurance company, so you don’t have to.
- If settlement negotiations fail, we are not afraid of taking the other party to trial.
- We always put our clients’ interests first. We have been doing this for decades and have recovered $300 million for our clients.
Contact Megeredchian Law Today
Contact the top-rated bicycle accident attorneys today to see how they can help you with your bicycle accident claims. They understand just how frustrating it may be to experience a bicycle accident. Many may be wondering what their options are at that point. They are available 24/7 to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your bicycle accident case.
They have offices conveniently located in several major cities in California, including Burbank, Glendale, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Stockton, San Bernardino, Riverside, Bakersfield, San Diego, Fresno, and Anaheim. They are also available 24/7 via phone and email. Make sure that you are represented by an experienced top rated accident attorney. Failing to have an experienced attorney on your side could cost your entire case. When you have an attorney that is experienced, you may be able to recover a variety of damages including lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional distress, etc.
Schedule a free no obligation consultation today with their top-rated legal team. They will help you get the justice you deserve. You do not have to be alone.