3 Ways to Become a Savvy Saver This Year

Saving money is something most of us would like to be able to do more successfully. We all have goals we’d like to achieve one day in the future, whether it’s buying a home of our own, upgrading to a new car, or simply going on an amazing family vacation. Unfortunately, the majority of people don’t have the best possible plan in place for using and managing their money. This means we’re left simply living from month to month, trying to make the most out of our wages, rather than working towards our goals. The following steps will help you to change your mindset so you can save more effectively, and make the right progress towards your targets.

Choose the Right Saving Strategy

There are various ways to better manage your money and budget successfully. Some prefer to put 80% of their earnings towards bills, and the other 20% into a savings account. Others invest a portion of their cash into an emergency savings fund, while investing the rest into long-term opportunities to build wealth. There’s no one-size-fits-all strategy here. The best thing you can do to make sure you’re moving in the right direction, is to assess all your options carefully, and match the right strategy to your values and targets. If you want to save cash but have access to your money in case of emergencies, it’s best to use a savings account. If you want to eventually generate an extra income from your money, you’ll need to look into investing.

Deal with Debts First

Few savings accounts or investment opportunities will guarantee you a higher return than the amount you’re going to spend on loans and debt interest. With this in mind, it’s best to set yourself up for success by dealing with the things that are draining your resources. Start by taking a look at your loans and asking yourself whether you can make them more affordable. If you’re paying a fortune for the loan you got to pursue your education, you can consider refinancing your student loans into an obligation that is new and more efficient. Once you’ve got your loans on track, decide which ones you’re going to pay off first, and create a plan to reach zero on your accounts. As you complete each account, check it off, and celebrate.

Pay Yourself Automatically

Remembering to actually save cash aside for your long-term goals can be more difficult than it seems, particularly when other expenses emerge in your day-to-day life. Fortunately, automating your savings efforts can help with this. Setting up a standing order for your savings account at the beginning of each month, as soon as you get paid, will ensure you’re less likely to spend the money you want to preserve for other long-term goals. If you can’t see the extra cash you’d like to dedicate to savings sitting in your bank account, you’ll be less tempted to use it when your friends invite you out for a meal, or you see a new video game or clothing item you’d like.

Show More