Smoke Weed vs Take Alcohol

People have different reasons for taking alcohol or smoking weed. Marijuana has grown in popularity over the years. By 2019, there were more adults smoking weed compared to those who take alcohol according to research done by AmericanMarijuana.

Smoking weed vs. Taking Alcohol Research and Results

The research revolves around whether people prefer to smoke weed instead of taking alcohol, the experiences they had when drunk or stoned with friends, and if they can drive while stoned or drunk. The research shows that 59.2% of the participants would prefer to drink alcohol, while 40.8% would prefer to smoke weed.

59% of those who prefer smoking marijuana indicated that they prefer it because it does not give them hangover, while 43% prefer weed because feeling high is incredible. 39.3% of people who prefer alcohol said they prefer it because it’s cheaper than weed, while 35.9% prefer alcohol because marijuana is illegal in their place. 39.4% stated that they prefer drinking because they can choose the amount they need to drink to get drunk.

48.4% of people who prefer smoking indicated that they experienced sad and happy experiences while stoned with their friends while 43% stated that all they felt were happy times, and 4.6% said they only experienced sad times. On the other hand, 71% of people who prefer drinking stated that they experienced both happy and sad moments when drunk with friends. However, only 17.8% of people who drink alcohol had happy times only, while 9.3% stated that they only had sad moments when drunk with friends.

71% of the participants indicated that they would never drive when stoned, compared to 55.2% of people who would never drive when drunk. On the other hand, 44.8% believe they can still drive when high, while 26.6% would drive when drunk.

The research shows that most people prefer smoking weed than drinking alcohol. The primary reason behind the preference to smoke weed is that the effects weed has on people are not as severe as alcohol effects. The research also showed that most people would prefer to be addicted to weed than alcohol.

The debate between which is better between drinking alcohol or smoking weed is a long, and there are many factors to consider before making a conclusion. Some factors include how both substances affect the brain, heart, general behavior, and how likely you can get hooked.

Fatality rates

In 2014, more than 30,000 Americans died from alcohol-related causes, while 0 deaths were reported as a result of marijuana use. A study done by the American Journal of Public Health showed that people who use marijuana could live as long as people who do not smoke weed.


More than half of all American adults have tried marijuana at some point in life, making it one of the most used drugs in the country. However, studies show that only about 9% becomes addicted to marijuana. On the other hand, 15% of people who have ever taken alcohol end up being addicts.


Alcohol slows down your heart while weed makes it go faster. Therefore, marijuana has negative short term effects on your heart. However, studies also show that there is no concrete evidence to show that smoking weed can increase the chances of a heart attack or stroke.

Alcohol is known to cause several health problems, including pre and postmenopausal break cancer among women. Therefore, the more you drink, the higher your chances of developing cancer. Studies also show that there is no connection between smoking weed and the risk of developing lung cancer or neck and head cancers.

Medical marijuana is gaining popularity thanks to its healing and anti-inflammatory properties. If you live in NY and want to know what the state-approved qualifying medical conditions for medical marijuana card approval are, the most common ones include: cancer, HIV infection or AIDS, seizures, severe or persistent muscle spasms, epilepsy, chronic pain, PTSD, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, spinal cord injury with spasticity, and inflammatory bowel disease. If you smoke marijuana for medical reasons, make sure to use organic papers or wraps (ZigZag wraps are a great choice) to avoid inhaling potentially harmful chemicals.

Social interactions

How we interact with other people around us is essential even when we are drunk or stoned. Both substances have connections with violent behavior, but the chances of a drunken person being violent are higher compared to someone who has smoked weed.

Final thoughts

When you consider everything, including the research done by AmericanMarijuana, alcohol seems extreme in all aspects. Alcohol users have higher chances of being addicted, developing cancer, violent behavior, car accidents as well as obesity. Even though weed is illegal in most places, its health advantages are many, which means that intense research is needed.

Show More