Everything You Need to Know About Weight Loss Medications
When it comes to weight loss, there are various proven methods. Some involve eating less, and some include exercising more. Some involve a combination of the above, and some involve taking medicine to help you lose weight.
Fortunately, medicine can also be an effective tool in weight loss. This article is your guide to the pros and cons of weight loss medications. Whether you’re trying to lose weight, you’re concerned about your weight, or taking medication and want to know more about its side effects, read on to learn more about the topic. Here you can find the list of Miami Herald od best weight loss pills.
What is weight loss medication?
Weight loss medication is any medication that causes weight loss in people who take it. They can either be an appetite suppressant or a stimulant of metabolism.
The FDA categorizes weight loss medications as anti-obesity drugs. They’re not considered diet pills. Supplements are sold as dietary supplements, not drugs, so their regulation falls under the Dietary Supplement Health and Safety Act (DSHS).
What kinds of medicine are used for weight loss?
Many different kinds of medicine can be used to lose weight. There are appetite suppressants, stimulants of metabolism, non-stimulant diuretics, and drugs that stimulate the metabolism of fats. Bupropion-naltrexone (Contrave), Liraglutide (Saxenda), Orlistat (Xenical), and Phentermine-topiramate (Qsymia) are on the list of the medications that will help lose weight. The medicine used for weight loss should be carefully chosen to be safe for long-term use and effective for weight loss.
Advantages of Weight Loss Medication
Medications for weight loss can have many advantages:
- One of the great advantages is that you will more likely not spend 5months to lose 2kg; instead, 2kgs would be lost in a week. So, the overall process is extremely fast.
- Medications for weight loss can work for a very long time. In many cases, the medicine will continue to work over the long term even if you stop taking it. Conversely, you can sometimes lose weight on a diet and exercise plan and then gain it back after you stop.
- In some cases, medication may be able to help you lose weight even if you haven’t been able to keep the weight off in the past.
- Some people may be able to lose more weight than they ever thought was possible with medication.
Disadvantages of Weight Loss Medication
There are also disadvantages of taking medication for weight loss:
- You may not be able to lose as much weight as you would if you were on a diet and exercise plan.
- While some medications can help you lose weight, they won’t be able to help you stay healthy and lose weight if you don’t change your lifestyle.
- Some people may have side effects from the medicine that make it hard to lose weight.
- If you take medicine for a long time, you might start feeling nervousness, all-time tiredness, insomnia, high blood pressure, and many more.
- Some people may have trouble getting insurance coverage for the medication because it’s not considered a diet or exercise program.
How to lose weight while taking medicine?
You need to create a plan and take action with or without medication. A healthy diet and exercise program can help you lose weight, but it’s not enough on its own. Create a plan that includes a healthy diet, regular physical activity, and healthy habits such as portion control and limiting sugar intake.
Follow your plan as closely as possible and don’t skip meals or snacks or eat more than you’ve specified.
Medicine can be an effective way to lose weight, but you should always try other methods first. If you decide to take medication, be sure to talk to your doctor or pharmacist about any concerns you may have and create a healthy diet and exercise plan to support your weight loss goals. If you want to lose weight safely and effectively, remember that diet and exercise are key components.
To wrap it up, this article discussed both advantages and disadvantages of losing weight through medications. So, next time you think about this weight loss plan, make sure to consider all mentioned points.