How to Live Your Best Self Today – Get Happy!
Ultimately, everyone wants to be happy in life. But what exactly does that happiness look like, and how can it be found? This seems to be something that people struggle with these days – but the good news is, it might be easier to find happiness than you think.
Here are a few useful tips.
Living a happier, better life
- Slow down and enjoy. Our 21st century lives are usually fast-paced and frenetic. It’s all too easy to whizz from place to place without paying any attention to your surroundings. Experts recommend taking the time to slow down; to mindfully notice the environment you’re in and gain new appreciation for it. Even if it’s just a case of going for a stroll around the block and observing the world around you, it’ll make a difference.
- Talk to people. Humans are generally more contented when they’re surrounded by other people. If you feel like you haven’t connected with anyone recently, now’s the time to start making an effort to do so. Call a friend that you haven’t talked to in ages, or arrange a night out with your old school-chums. Being sociable can sometimes provide you with just the lift you’re looking for.
- Put on a feel-good film (or song). Nothing beats the nostalgia of cosying up on the sofa with your favourite ‘happy’ film. This could be one from your childhood or one you saw recently with friends; it doesn’t matter which, as long as it takes you to a happier place. The same applies for music.
- Be grateful. Many people keep a gratitude journal, detailing all the things they’re grateful about in their lives. This is a great way to not only appreciate what you’ve got, but also challenge your negative perceptions about situations.
- Get a good night’s sleep. The quality of your sleep can have a massive impact on your mental wellbeing. If you’re struggling to sleep, it’s time to take action. You might need to invest in a new mattress or pillow if your current ones aren’t supporting you properly while you snooze, for example. If you find it difficult to get to sleep, try taking a bath with some lavender oil beforehand – this is a great way to relax and unwind.
- Use scent to lift you. Never underestimate the power of fragrance. It can be used to alter mood, which is great if you want to bring about a state of happiness. Choose a perfume that’s got lots of uplifting ingredients – such as citrus, pink pepper, jasmine blossom or bergamot. Alternatively, if you like your fragrance to remind you of happy places, choose evocative scents like Green Irish Tweed or Neroli Portofino.
- Do something unexpected. If you’re feeling a bit ‘stuck in a rut’, do something that breaks with your daily routine. Take a late-night walk and study the stars. Get on a train and visit a place you’ve never been to before. Plan a sky-dive for charity. It’s time to seize the moment and do something that makes you feel invigorated and alive.