ContactPigeon: Weekly online retail sales grew 61% in Europe during the lockdown
London – June 2020: ContactPigeon, the all-in-one omnichannel customer engagement platform which specializes in the retail industry, with clients in Europe and North America, published a report about the top eCommerce trends during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Using 30+ million eCommerce transactions across all key product verticals captured within ContactPigeon’s platform during the period between January and April 2020, the report analyzes the weekly shopping patterns of consumers as a direct result of COVID-19 driven quarantine measures. The company used Visual Recognition AI technology to identify over 100K products across hundreds of retailers to consistently categorize the product by its vertical for most reliable insights.
Key insights of the report:
● The market is shifting: The global COVID 19 pandemic, retail and eCommerce businesses are facing new challenges in consumer behavior in spending, where they shop, and their product mix.
● Ecommerce benefited during forced closure: Weekly eCommerce sales during the mandatory store closure period have increased by 61% compared to the weekly average during pre-closure period.
● Average order value (A.o.V.) has grown by 31%: During this period consumers added more products on their baskets and spent more vs the pre-closure period.
● Top 3 eCommerce product categories: Entertainment (236%), Stationery & Hobbies (204%), and Food & Beverages (167%) were the categories with the biggest month over month change in revenue.
● Fashion’s wallet share shrunk by -17% during the lockdown
“During the lockdown, the eCommerce penetration skyrocketed nearly to every affected country and market. Understanding the latest online consumer behavior that COVID-19 shaped is vital for retailers and eCommerce businesses that aim to build a more resilient retail business and recover from the current crisis”
– George Moirotsos, Founder & CEO, ContactPigeon
You can find the full COVID-19 eCommerce trends report here:
ContactPigeon is a VC-backed customer engagement platform that empowers retailers to grow sales and customer retention with personalized, behavioral-driven, and high-converting messages. Founded in 2014, ContactPigeon operates across the US and EU and is trusted by more than 300 brands including L’OREAL, The Body Shop, Fujitsu, and others.
Joyce Qian, 1-800-490-1732
Head of Strategy & Growth
Alternate Contact Info:
+30 211 8009130