These are the top 30 traits of the modern woman
Modern women split the bill on a dinner date, love to speak their own mind – and are able to find the balance of being both soft and strong with their emotions when required, it has emerged.
Research revealed other common characteristics include wanting to show compassion and kindness every day, striving to be good friends and doing their best to set a good example to others.
Women also declared ‘choice’ as being important – whether it’s working their way up the career ladder or being a stay-at-home mum, to choosing the single life over love and marriage.
In today’s contemporary society, women are also confident leading a business meeting, standing up to the boss if necessary and having an ambition to promote women in the workplace.
Other traits revealed in the study by Always Platinum include supporting those with less confidence, always exercising the right to vote, encouraging others to do so, and being treated as an equal.
Interestingly, the definition of femininity has changed considerably over time.
When asked what this would have meant five decades ago, 41 per cent suggested ‘delicate and sweet’, while 53 per cent’ said ‘being a good mother and caring’.
New femininity is very different – with another 41 per cent of women suggesting it means ‘being independent and loyal’ and 31 per cent using the words ‘confident and graceful’.
The study also shows more than half (58 per cent) of UK women describe the modern-day female as being independent, while 48 per cent describe her as resilient and 44 per cent ‘ambitious’.
Of those surveyed, a resounding two thirds feel capable of being both soft and strong in their approaches to work, and more than eight in 10 find a happy balance when it comes to their personal life and relationships.
A spokeswoman for Always Platinum, which commissioned the study of 2,000 women via OnePoll.com, said: “The survey findings clearly demonstrate that new femininity is about having a combination of both soft and strong attributes.
“The modern woman has the balance of being able to show a soft and supportive side, while at the same time, demonstrating strength – she is resilient, knows what she wants and speaks her mind.”
It also emerged more than one quarter (26 per cent) of women feel it is in their thirties when they manage to strike the perfect balance of being strong, and soft.
When asked to describe what it means to be strong, 65 per cent said, ‘you keep going even during tough times’ and when it came to the meaning of soft, 45 per cent said it was being ‘kind and caring’.
But almost nine in 10 ladies believe it is possible to be assertive and get what you want in life and still have that important caring side.
And although today’s women want be paid the same as men in the same roles, have the same rights as men, and are confident in business, the survey suggests they would most like to be described as kind, thoughtful and caring, rather than as a leader, bold or ruthless.
* Always Platinum is the number one pad, within the Always Ultra range, for comfort and protection, so there’s no need to compromise, and is available on shelves now.
TOP 30 TRAITS OF THE MODERN WOMAN:
1. Wearing what you want – that might be jeans and trainers one day, and a dress with heels on another
2. Believing women should be paid the same as men in the same roles
3. Believing women have the same rights as men
4. Happy to manage your own money
5. Not feeling like you need to get married / have a long-term relationship
6. Feeling able to live your life as you choose and do whatever you want
7. Giving your sons and daughters the exact same choices and opportunities
8. Happy to express your emotions
9. Not feeling like you need to have children
10. Not feeling like you have to wear make-up, but you love it when you do
11. Not necessarily wanting to work in a high powered career, but want to know it’s an option if you work hard
12. Happy to lead a business meeting
13. Being a good friend
14. Sticking up for other women AND men
15. Showing compassion and kindness to everyone
16. Preferring ‘going Dutch’ on a dinner date, but if a man wants to pay, you’re alright with that!
17. Happy to be a stay at home mum, safe in the knowledge this doesn’t mean you’re a lesser woman
18. Loving yourself as a female, you love other women AND you love men
19. Encourage daughters and sons to think beyond gendered roles
20. Always voting and encouraging others to do so
21. Simply being the best you can be every day
22. Speaking your own mind, although still sometimes get nervous doing so
23. Happy to go to work and have a ‘house husband’
24. Willing to stand up to your boss if you have to
25. Setting a good example for others
26. Supporting those with less confidence
27. Promoting women in the workplace
28. Comfortable appreciating both men and women
29. Comfortable expressing your femininity
30. Being genuinely happy when your girlfriends do well