Are the Results of Hair Transplant Permanent?
When people think of hair transplants, they visualise patchy, noticeable hair plugs implanted on the scalp. However, hair transplants have come a long way, especially in the last decade.
Hair transplantation, also called hair restoration, is a surgical technique that uses micrografting technology to donate hair follicles to other areas of the scalp that are thinning.
The hair transplant results are visibly long-lasting and are considered permanent. Although the procedure is time-consuming, it ensures a faster healing and recovery process.
If one is planning to undergo hair transplant surgery, they will need to educate themselves about the types of hair transplant surgery, how it works and the results of a hair transplant.
Does the procedure really work?
Hair transplants are more successful than over-the-counter hair restoration products.
- Hair transplants use your own hair, usually taken from the back of the head, then follicular units of 1 to 4 individual hair are harvested from the donor site and transplanted to the problematic area.
- In 10 months a fuller head of hair is clearly visible.
- Once the hair grafts are transplanted, they will stay for a lifespan. However, in case of injury, individuals can get the hair restored if they have lost hair.
Is hair transplant for every type of baldness?
Hair transplants don’t work for everyone, it is not a preventative method for hair loss. They’re mainly used to restore hair, who have experienced enough balding, thinning of hair naturally or have lost hair due to an injury. Hair transplant surgery is typically done when hair regrowth does not occur even after medicinal treatment.
A few basic criteria have to be met in order to be a successful candidate for hair transplant surgery:
- One who has experienced enough hair loss to affect their appearance
- Have realistic expectations about what hair transplant surgery will be able to carry out
- Have enough donor hair to satisfy current and future needs for hair replacement surgery
Most transplants are done with existing hair, so they are not as effective for treating people with widespread thinning and baldness, hair loss due to any medications or chemotherapy, thick scalp scars caused due to injury.
Is hair transplant permanent?
The results of hair transplant surgery are permanent. On the basis of the hair problem, the surgeon will give the appropriate treatment plan which will help to solve the problem completely.
After hair follicles are grafted into bald areas, it takes some time for skin to heal. In fact, it’s normal for some of the hair to fall out for the first three months after the surgery,
Healing can take approximately 6 to 12 months. Once the healing is complete, the transplanted follicles begin to grow that fill the bald patches on the scalp. At this time, hair will continue to grow naturally as one gets older. The hair growth will be in the same direction as the existing hair.
For best results, it is advised to follow post procedure instructions suggested by the surgeon. By doing this, the chances of a successful hair transplant increases.
However, hair transplant results successfully depend upon the skills and experience of the surgeon. An experienced surgeon ensures that results are permanent.
Hair transplants is the most effective method for restoring hair growth following many causes of hair loss. The success rate of hair transplant depends on many factors, including the patient’s donor hair, the skill and experience of the surgeon. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, hair transplant surgery can provide a modest change in hair fullness.
Researchers found that the majority of people who underwent FUE using body or beard hair combined with scalp hair, were satisfied with the results after an average follow-up of 2.9 years. In 79 participants, the overall score of satisfaction was 8.4 out of 10.
Types of Hair Transplant
There are two main types of hair transplant surgery. Best type of surgery to go for will depend on individual needs and recommendations of the physician.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)- The strip of the skin is taken by the doctor from the donor area and later holes are closed with stitches. After implantation, smaller sections are made out of the skin to give it a natural appearance. Then, these are stitched into the recipient area. Usually 4-6 hours are required for placing 3000 grafts.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)- Hair follicles are extracted from the area of the donor by making thousands of incisions. The remaining procedure is somewhat similar to FUT technique. Usually 6-8 hours are required for placing 3000 grafts.
To get permanent results after undergoing hair transplant surgery, it’s important to talk to the doctor. The doctor confirms which hair transplant is best suited for an individual and how it will be processed. Hair transplant is a good option for people with thinning hair and hair loss, it helps restore hair fullness and eventually, self-confidence.