Smaller Gatherings And Less Travel This Christmas, But More Optimism for 2022, Finds Global Christmas Survey by TGM Research
The most notable findings from the newly released survey include:
- 72 percent of total respondents plan to use a video call for celebrating Christmas with family.
- 32 of all respondents plan to shop online for Christmas.
- Two-thirds of those surveyed expect 2022 to be better than 2021.
- A combined 55 percent of respondents from North America started preparing for Christmas 3-4 weeks to more than a month early, the earliest compared to Europe, Latin America, and the rest of the world,
- A majority of respondents plan to spend Christmas dinner with their family, regardless of the location. The next highest categories included cooking together, decorating and watching movies.
- One in five of those surveyed expect to be impacted by COVID restrictions, and half of those in North America and Europe plan to limit meetings with family and friends due to health risks
- Three out of four respondents in Latin America and the rest of the world said they would limit meetings.
- Of those surveyed, the average family meeting size for Christmas was 7.3 people, with a high of 9.8 in Latin America, and a low of 5.6 people in Europe.
- Only 30 percent of those contacted said they planned on traveling using their vehicle. A combined six percent said that they plan on traveling internationally for Christmas.
- The biggest increases in spending of those surveyed compared to last year were on food, drink and gifts, at 33 percent and 30 percent respectively.
- Roughly ten percent of respondents of the survey said they are planning on using a loan to finance holiday spending.
- 48 percent said 2021 was worse than an average year, and 61 percent said that 2022 will be better than 2021.
The complete findings of the TGM Christmas Global Survey 2021 are available online at:
Founded in 2017, TGM Research is a data and insights company specializing in online market research. With access to over 4 billion consumers worldwide and our proprietary online market survey panels, TGM helps businesses, academic and education research to identify, connect and engage with the people who matter. We do this by capturing declared first-party data. We help to understand, segment, target and engage with your target audiences globally through research that moves at the speed of culture.