These Are The Top 40 Things Guaranteed To Make Brits Feel Super
A warm hug, seeing the sun shine – and old people holding hands are among the top 40 little things guaranteed to make us feel ‘super’, according to research.
The smell of a cake being baked, bumping into a friend unexpectedly and remembering you’ve got freshly washed sheets on the bed also appeared on the list.
Listening to uplifting music will turn three in 10 Brits’ frowns upside down, and 20 per cent will turn to a big bar of chocolate for extra cheer.
It also emerged that for more than half of those polled, ‘feeling super’ means having a small moment of pure joy, no matter how fleeting.
But a third believe it comes when they do good for others, and know they’re helping.
The study was conducted by P&G to mark the #FeelSuper campaign with Superdrug in aid of Marie Curie, which has raised £570,000 for the charity since it’s launch in 2015.
This year, #FeelSuper ambassadors Frankie Bridge and Marvin Humes are launching the campaign’s first ever charity song which celebrates the everyday little things that really make a difference.
Hannah Drew, P&G Customer & Consumer Brand Manager UK and Ireland: “By giving people a special ‘feel super moment’ through this song, we are hoping to inspire even more involvement and drive further donations to raise as much as possible for the vital services Marie Curie provides.”
The study also found more than a third of those who have had someone close to them suffer from terminal illness have found happiness in playing their favourite music playlist.
And half of these respondents said a great song makes them ‘feel super’ because it reminds them of a happy memory.
It’s not just music though, a quarter of the nation believe seeing a baby’s smile is enough to put a grin on their own face, and 28 per cent love being tucked under a warm blanket when it’s cold and wet outside.
More than one in 10 Brits also love it when a social event they secretly didn’t want to go to gets cancelled, freeing up their time.
And 10 per cent are never happier than when taking a whiff of their favourite shampoo or hair conditioner.
The study, commissioned by OnePoll.com, also found that in a typical week, Brits think they encounter something which changes their mood for the better once per day.
But they’ll need these to combat the eight days a month they would describe as being simply ‘bad days.’
And the most popular ways we have of making other people feel super include simply paying them a compliment or making a cup of tea.
Annie Wade, a Marie Curie Nurse who features on the #FeelSuper song said: “The #FeelSuper song makes us all recognise how important it is to celebrate the little moments in life – something I know first-hand as a Marie Curie Nurse.
“We provide palliative care as well as much needed physical and emotional support to families across the country 24 hours a day, 7 days a week but so often it really is the small things that make the biggest difference.
“Making a cup of tea for a family member in the middle of night, playing a patient one of their favourite songs or just sitting with them so that they know someone is there with them are just a few of the things I do to try and give much needed comfort and support to patients and their loved ones.”
Marvin Humes added: “It’s all about the people that make a difference – the Marie Curie Nurses, volunteers and staff.
“The #FeelSuper song embodies what we are trying to do here – celebrate the people that are on the ground, making a difference every day and inspire the rest of us to do our bit and support them.
“It’s all pretty easy – just by heading into Superdrug stores or online or listening to this amazing song you can give someone else the opportunity to feel super because all the donations really count.”
THE TOP 40 THINGS GUARANTEED TO MAKE BRITS ‘FEEL SUPER’:
1. A hug
2. The sun shinning
3. Freshly washed sheets
4. Hearing someone say they love you
5. Reading a good book
6. Getting a compliment from someone
7. Listening to uplifting music
8. Solving a problem
9. Being tucked under a blanket when it’s cold and wet outside
10. Seeing a close friend after a long while
11. A smiling baby
12. Your favourite song coming on the radio
13. Having someone supportive to talk to
14. A hot shower
15. A hot cup of tea
16. Watching your favourite TV show / film with someone
17. A proper cup of coffee
18. Starting a new series of your favourite TV show
19. Eating a big bar of chocolate
20. A haircut
21. Dining at your favourite restaurant
22. The smell of a cake being baked
23. Having a home-cooked meal after being away from home for a while
24. Seeing others having fun / laughing
25. Bumping into a friend
26. Freshly washed hair
27. Old people holding hands
28. A social event you secretly didn’t want to attend being cancelled
29. Going to an exercise class/doing exercise
30. Retail therapy
31. Tucking into a lush slice of sponge cake
32. Listening to a favourite dance tune
33. Someone helping with the cleaning
34. Wearing your favourite outfit
35. Being offered a biscuit or favourite treat
36. Being told you don’t have to cook tonight
37. Your favourite artist releasing new music
38. Hearing a new joke
39. A gin and tonic
40. Catching green lights all the way to work