USA DRUG DEATHS ARE 21 TIMES MORE THAN ISRAEL, GERMANY, FRANCE OR ITALY – RESEARCH BY DON JURAVIN
Deaths From Drugs
rate per 1,000,000 aged 15-64 | lower is better | 2018 report
Comparing USA Vs. Europe’s top countries (Germany, France, Italy) Vs. Israel
- Israel’s deaths from drugs are 4.28 times better than the world average
- Israel’s deaths from drugs are 20.66 times better than the USA
- Israel’s deaths from drugs are 1.01 times better than Euro-top
230 countries compared
- About 275 million people worldwide, which is roughly 5.6 percent of the global population aged 15–64 years, used drugs at least once during 2016.
- Some 31 million people who use drugs suffer from drug use disorders, meaning that their drug use is harmful to the point where they may need treatment.
- Initial estimates suggest that, globally, 13.8 million young people aged 15–16 years used cannabis in the past year, equivalent to a rate of 5.6 percent.
- Roughly 450,000 people died as a result of drug use in 2015, according to WHO. Of those deaths, 167,750 were directly associated with drug use disorders (mainly overdoses). The rest were indirectly attributable to drug use and included deaths related to HIV and hepatitis C acquired through unsafe injecting practices.
- Opioids continued to cause the most harm, accounting for 76 percent of deaths where drug use disorders were implicated.
- Prevalence of people who inject drugs — some 10.6 million worldwide in 2016 — endure the greatest health risks. More than half of them live with hepatitis C, and one in eight live with HIV.
- Total global opium production jumped by 65 percent from 2016 to 2017, to 10,500 tons, easily the highest estimate recorded by UNODC since it started monitoring global opium production at the beginning of the twenty-first century.
- The surge in opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan meant that the total area under opium poppy cultivation worldwide increased by 37 percent from 2016 to 2017, to almost 420,000 ha. More than 75 percent of that area is in Afghanistan.
Registered research DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3533270
Research by: Don Karl Juravin | Don Juravin tweets | Don Juravin videos | Don Juravin page | Don Karl Juravin Linkedin | Don Juravin education | Don Juravin Pinterest | Don Juravin images | Don Juravin blogs | Don Karl Juravin Reddit | Don Juravin scholar citation | JURAVIN RESEARCH | Don Juravin writer | Don Karl Juravin blog | Google+ | Ted Talks | Don Juravin docs | Don Juravin answers | Don Karl Juravin local | Juravin blogging | Juravin posts | Don Juravin Reviews |