Hull City Council is calling for information from the public to help catch fly-tippers
Over the past few months, there have been multiple incidents of tyres being fly-tipped in Hull and surrounding areas.
Details are as follows:
- Approximately 70 tyres in the tenfoot to the rear of Princes Avenue on 3February 2022
- Between 60-70 tyres in a tenfoot between Westbourne Avenue and Lynton Street on 16 February 2022
- Over 40 tyres on land adjacent to Ryde Street on or around 30 October 2021 (ref 420069)
- Over 50 tyres on the drain bank off Stepney Lane on or around 17 November 2021 (ref 420892)
- Over 100 in a tenfoot near Beech Grove on or around 15 November 2021 (ref 420762)
Fly tipping is illegal and, if caught, the offender can be issued with a fixed penalty notice or face prosecution and clean-up costs.
If you have witnessed any of the above incidents or if you have relevant CCTV, dashcam or doorcam footage, of people or vehicles, the council is urging residents to share it with them.
Cllr Rosie Nicola, portfolio holder for environment services, said:
“We are dedicated to finding the person or business that has committed these crimes. If anyone has any information that could help it would be gratefully received and will be treated in the strictest of confidence.”
Under Section 33 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, it is an offence for any person to deposit wastes, or knowingly cause or permit wastes to be deposited on any land – unless an environmental permit authorising the deposit is in force and the deposit is in accordance with the licence. The maximum penalty under this section is an unlimited fine, imprisonment or both.
Although the responsibility to keep private land clear lies with the homeowner or occupier, the council will work hand-in-hand to track down and prosecute those who have illegally fly-tipped.
Anyone with any information relating to the above incidents should contact the Environmental Enforcement Team at Hull City Council by calling 01482 300 300 or online Fly-tipping | Hull City Council . Any information provided to us will be received in the strictest confidence and will not be disclosed.